Few exams to be put on the report in the booklet, no matter if it is digital or still paper, the checkered flag is approaching, that mountain CFU (training credits) that at the beginning seemed so high to scale now seems almost at the summit. But between us and the lens there is still a small step, a detail that in reality is all or almost: the degree thesis.
A feeling that seems fear but that we feel every day to identify as “anxiety” makes its way along our back, we are at a point of return, we are required to make a last effort to give a note of value to our university path. Will we be up to it? Will our proposals be accepted? Which topic to choose? As with any aspect of the study, having a systematic approach is the best thing, so let’s take a moment and evaluate the situation objectively without being overwhelmed by stress.
“How to do a thesis”
We immediately try to make some order: the degree thesis is a unique and original project that a student realizes at the end of his / her studies, to help there will be the professor who is the subject (the famous speaker) and his collaborators . There is no single rule on the modalities, with the Ruberti law (341/90) every university has acquired full autonomy in this regard, but consulates, there is a bible on the subject which is “How to do a thesis” by Umberto Eco. Now let’s see some specific advice on the issue.
Systematic, as we have said. Step number 1: mentally focus a road map to follow, reason for points of a checklist to check one at a time.
1. What will you talk about?
2. Choose the type of thesis, make a ladder.
3. Books, sources, interviews: which battle weapons will you use?
4. Organize the contents.
5. Write, and write in style.
6. Print and bind.
Choose the topic for a thesis
With regard to the subject, we must first follow our own orientation, understand where our curiosity pushes us and what point we would like to learn more about. Better to start from a generic idea, not too articulated, all these steps will then be considered together with the teacher who will be our speaker. Sometimes, starting from a question can be a good starting point, the questions stimulate the argument and the concept of presenting and validating a theory through a convincing and academically valid reasoning is just what we are going to do.
Type of thesis and writing of a lineup
First of all, we need to understand that there are two types of thesis: compilative and experimental:
– Compilation thesis: consists in the re-elaboration of theories that have already been presented by other scholars, in practice the work will consist in the deepening of certain aspects of the chosen topic and, perhaps, the comparison with critical currents related to that thought.
– Experimental thesis: here we go to face an original work, the goal is to present a text that expounds an innovative idea, so to speak unpublished. Often, during the elaboration of this type of thesis, there is extensive use of interviews, personal experiences such as internships or visits to specific facilities. It always depends on the university, but sometimes this type of text ensures a higher score at the presentation stage.
It’s time to devote yourself to writing a useful lineup for the preparation of the thesis. Everyone needs his specifications, but in general you need to:
– Choose and speak with the speaker: the choice of the professor is crucial considering that this person will direct our work for the coming months. The determining factors can be first of all the subject of competence, a minimum of empathy, a certain availability (relying on a professor who is not present at the meetings and not available for proofreading will greatly slow down the drafting of the thesis).
– Choose the type of thesis.
– Analyze the available material: our ideas must be compared with the news we have collected so far and those we are preparing to collect. We must understand the texts recommended by the professor, decide with which to start working on the basis of opportunities, in short, try to understand how to manage our sources according to the work we would like to see done.
The sources of a thesis
In the old theses an extensive bibliography was given on a certain subject, today supports and materials are extremely diversified and everything can be useful to support a thesis: online articles, databases and big data, filmography, discography … Obviously, a good one practice is to follow the path to which the various texts that we are going to study bring, the research of others who in turn have a bibliography which we can also draw on using all the knowledge useful to us, but always remember to mention the sources!
How to write a thesis
From the technical point of view, it is necessary to consider the University directives, some universities in fact provide a sort of vademecum to standardize all the documents of their students. In any case, even on the web there are several regulations that can give a rough indication of how to proceed with formatting and layout of the text.
As for the part of the style, it must certainly be kept in mind that an academic paper is being written, so it is better not to abuse “poetic licenses” but at the same time not to look for stunted formalism. Better to prefer short sentences, clear and understandable formulas that specify the concepts with few subordinates. Let us not forget to constantly use the quotation, the notes greatly enrich the text, indeed, they are fundamental. The important thing is that our thesis does not become a patchwork of other people’s works.
Print and bindHave you given a couple of corrective readings, removed the typos and had the professor reread? Well, you’re ready for the last point on the checklist, and you’ll be happy to know that someone else will do it for you. There are many online services for printing and binding, some of which ensure the printing and binding of degree theses in a very short time, without neglecting the quality of the work and the aesthetic result. Interfacing with a person is certainly more reassuring especially in a delicate period like the one of the degree, we are sure that even your trusted copy shop will reassure you on every aspect, indeed it is certainly not the first thesis they print!